Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The best of Pink - Where flowers mingle

I took a cab that sent me detouring twice around the estate when I finally reached the block of house where my dear friend stays. The cab driver apologized profusely for missing the block in which I smile nonchalantly. It doesn’t really matter to me at all.

As I stepped into the hallway under the block, tables with lovely pink tablecloth strewed the entire place. Pots of fresh pink flowers with mini black corsets tie around the pots, lay every table. There were flowers everywhere. I felt I have entered into the garden of Adam and Eve.

In the background, a 70s’ pop song played. It reminded me of all sweet sentimental memories and nostalgia of the past when I was young. Everyone was dressed in pink, kids and adults. Different shades of it. I saw a cute little babe scurrying after the mother in pink surfer shorts. The little girl showed me a pink lip balm in her hand and I chuckled, giving her a pat on her head.
I am not in paradise, am I?

I entered into the hall, taking my pace slowly as if in need of every moment to sink into time and space. The evening wind blew, indeed it was a beautiful night. The surrounding park and street light made this up a perfect place for romance. I was in awe of the rejoicing atmosphere.

I was offered a place to sit by my dear friend’s brother in law. I sat and dig myself into a plate of snacks while I waited for her to come.

Two days ago, I received a message from this friend saying, “Stan passed away peacefully today”. Her husband has fought a good fight with cancer.

I feel the sadness seeped into my heart. I stopped plugging away on my office laptop and sat staring out of the wide window pane. I sighed at the reality of his passing, the fragility of life, the vulnerability of life after a loss one, the thin line between life and death, the blessing and curse, the love and bitterness. All thoughts came like the raindrops against the window. Then it all became blurry.

She came, and we held hands. I tried to smile an encouraging smile. She looked serene. I try to grasp her emotions as we sat in silent. We started talking and I asked her about pink. Why pink? “Well, my husband want it that way.. he wants everyone to rejoice and dressed in the color. I am not sure why he chose pink of all colors. “ I stare at my dress, “Hey, how can I be in black?” She broke into a smile.

She chose him a white casket she said, as I walked over with her to pay him my last respect. Pink roses framed his handsome, suave picture. Beautiful pink again complimented by his wondrous smile. “He has been strong, very strong and positive”. She added as both of us stare ahead at the altar.

We talked about his dying before he left for eternity. “Two days ago, he mentioned he saw light, but he told me he doesn’t want to go and he wants me to go with him.” And I answered him” , You know me, I am always late for everything, I dressed late, come home late, do things late, carried out my chores late. So I have to be late in coming with you.”

I tried to hold back my tears. I turned my head and stare out to the street as if to catch in a deep breath. The splashes of pink, her words, his words speak so much of a paragon of deep love. I thought of God. God is love. It reminded me of a poem I read somewhere. What a tribute of love as he waited for his wife, curving every expression of love.

I Stand and Wait
I stand, and wait, and wonder where she is, my eyes on Jesus.
Where else shall I go?
What Jesus blessed and broke so long ago
fed thousands meals I would not want to miss.
Those loaves and fishes perished.
So will this,my daily bread for which I pray, and though He has provided,
still, I do not know when I will break this bread with one of His.
I ask the Lord of you, and seek His face, and stand before Him,
knocking at the Door, for Jesus knocked at mine and gave me grace
when I had opened up to Him
before He could prepare for me an honored place
with Bread and Wine and love forevermore.

I know what the pink means, my dear friend. Its His Love for you, his steadfast love, always romancing, reverently surpassing any worldly understanding, even death do not part ways. Instead, the bond of this everlasting eternal love transcends Heaven and Earth, connecting you and Him in every glorious moment. All else doesn’t matter now.

A tribute to you, Stan Joseph Fernandez.

And my dearest friend, this is dedicated to you, your favorite song. Its one of my favorites too.

Love, Me By Collin Raye

Song of Solomon 8:6 Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame.

Your unfailingly love is my Comfort.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seasons turn and rivers flow
Mourn me hard and let me go

- 'Last Wish':Asa James



Richard